I think the proper response to Trump is a Marshall Plan to rebuild those American regions devastated by the economic collapse of the last 20 years and laid low by coronavirus.
I think the American Marshall Plan should include:
- A basic income such as failed Presidential candidate Andrew Yang’s (D-New York) Freedom Dividend. The Freedom Dividend is a $1,000 a month cash payment to all Americans over 18.
- A large increase in monthly Social Security payments for all recipients. Remember, many Trump supporters are over 65. The Freedom Dividend could serve as a $1,000 a month Social Security increase.
- A large increase in monthly Social Security Disability payments. The Freedom Dividend could serve as a $1,000 a month Social Security disability increase.
- A $1-trillion-a-year federal investment in public education.
- Several trillion dollars of federal investment in infrastructure. Infrastructure projects could include rebuilding America’s highways, mass transit in all cities, a national Hyperloop system, rebuilding public schools, new sewer and water systems in American cities, and free high-speed internet and 5 G wireless in all US communities.
- Medicare for All
- Implement Rewiring America’s plan to decarbonize America. Vox’s Era Klein claims the Rewiring America Plan could create 25 million jobs by financing the adoption of green energy technology; such as solar panels, by ordinary Americans.
Yes, these proposals are generous. However they will be cheap compared to the damage a future tyrant could do to America.
America is feeling an incredible amount of pain. That pain is fueling enormous amounts of anger and frustration that could drive violence and tyranny. Americans need to learn from their history and implement a 21st Century Marhsall Plan to fix their nation’s problems before it is too late.