There at least a few elements of the Democratic Establishment are warming to presidential candidate Andrew Yang (D-New York).There are several reasons Establishment Democrats are taking a second look at Yang. Those reasons include:’
- Yang has some similarities to Trump, Andrew is a celebrity businessman and an effective digital campaigner who attracts media attention. Additionally, Yang has a growing grassroots following. The similarities to a proven winner are too great for experienced pols to ignore.
- Yang is the only candidate left standing; besides Joe Biden (D-Delaware), who looks sort of like a moderate Democrat. Yang aggressively promotes radical policies, but he looks and acts moderate. If Biden falters; or gets dragged by the Ukraine mess, Yang could be the most moderate Democrat in the race. Remember, the other choices are self-described socialist U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont) and U.S. Senator Liz Warren (D-Massachusetts), the woman Wall Street loves to hate.
- Yang is the only candidate taking a moderate position on impeachment and Trump. The increasingly ugly attacks on Trump; and the clumsy impeachment investigation, scare and disgust many Americans. Yang is publicly skeptical of impeachment and he opposes prosecuting Trump after the president leaves office. I think Yang is tapping into a growing wave of discomfort with the anti-Trump hysteria.
- Yang is the most likeable of the successful Democratic candidates. Yang comes across as friendly and personable. In contrast, Bernie appears grumpy and nasty; Liz Warren seems arrogant, and younger voters find Biden creepy and offensive. Likability does not guarantee success, but it gets candidates in the door. Notably, Trump; probably the least likeable presidential candidate since Richard M. Nixon (R-California), won in 2016.
- Finally, Yang’s message rings true with a lot of Americans. Americans are nervous about big-tech and fearful for their jobs. In that environment, people will listen to a candidate willing to talk about their fears.
- Yang, like Trump, pays attention to ordinary people’s fears. In contrast to Biden, who refuses to discuss the economy. Yang comes right out and says what many think: “robots and artificial intelligence threaten our jobs.” Just as Trump was willing to acknowledge what many ordinary Americans really thought of immigrants, Hillary R. Clinton (R-New York) and free trade.
- Yang is the only Democratic presidential candidate, some conservatives and right-wingers like and respect. Business Insider writer Karol Markowicz admits, “I’m a conservative — and I could live with Andrew Yang as president.” I cannot imagine a conservative writing that about Sanders, Warren, or Biden.
- Yang even has some appeal to the alt-right, Axios’Sara Fischer notes. For instance, Yang received 17,100 mentions on”fringe social media platforms” between 27 February and 8 March 2019, Axios’ Sara Fischer estimates. Thus, Yang could take some votes from Trump. In contrast, I cannot imagine Trump voters supporting Biden.
- Democrats really want to beat Trump, and Yang looks like he could do it. Moreover, many Democrats believe Trump knows how to beat candidates like Joe Biden and Liz Warren. Yang; however, is untested, unknown, and unproven, so he could provide the Dark Horse factor that disrupts Trump’s reelection efforts.
Will Yang win? I don’t know, but many people now think Andrew Yang is electable. That could be a game changer in the Democratic presidential primary.
Originally published at https://marketmadhouse.com on November 10, 2019.